Blog of a CPA Mommy

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Love Tested

On April 15th, my grandparents celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. My grandma was only 17 years old when they married. My mom was born two years later, the first of five children. Their love brought five children, 14 grandchildren, and great grandchildren into the world. The tests that happened during my lifetime include at least 4 heartattacks from my grandpa, the death of a son due to cancer, a heartattack from my grandma, and later my grandma had a stroke. The greatest test and the thing that showed grandpa's devotion. She was left paralyzed on one side and unable to speak. My grandpa cared for her and kept her at the house they'd lived in for years.

April 17th marked the 17th anniversary of the death of my uncle, their son. On April 19th, my grandma passed away. The woman, who grew up in poverty during the depression and spent her adult life with someone who loved her enough to stand by her in her time of need, died quietly in the bed she'd shared with the man she loved. I don't know who I cried more for, her or the husband left behind with the grief of losing the woman he'd stood beside for over 60 years. I can only hope that as my love is tested, it raises to the level theirs did.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger A Little Blue House said…

    Your post about your grandma and grandpa made me cry - it was a beautiful memorial to two wonderful people.

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger Donna said…

    They were a wonderful couple, and I know you will miss her dearly.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home