Blog of a CPA Mommy

Monday, May 26, 2008

Home Time

With the help of my mom, I've been tackling our house since our renter moved out. We painted and cleaned the extra bedroom to turn it into a toy room. We invited a couple of friends over to lend their kids' hands to the rainbow mural created with finger paints. It turned out really nice. New sheer curtains finished off the room after adding a table and chairs we've had for a long time. Total cost included $10 curtains, $5 finger paints, and $20 wall paint. However, there is a closet project to make cubbies in half with mdf which hasn't been bought.

Next came the living room/study. We've never used it as a living room. It's always been a computer/piano room. So it got a coat of paint. We moved the desk and had to buy extension cables. I also bought folders and binders to help organize the tons of mail I don't want to throw away. We found the desk lamp that matched the floor lamp we got years ago. So total cost included $40 lamp, $20 paint, $50 cables, and $30 folders/binders.

Finally the family room. We used paint that I bought for the computer room years ago when we painted the entry room. We also had to use primer to cover the yellow venetian plaster that never turned out the way we imagined and haven't really liked. It was supposed to be a dark golden and turned out to be more mustardy. I also mentioned to Phil that I wanted to replace the curtains which we bought the fabric when we first moved. It was cheap and I was able to sew some really nice curtains. They were dark green with golden fleur-de-lis (small). After painting, they no longer went with the room and so today we were off to Bed, Bath & Beyond to pick out drapes. While there I found curtains that would work well with our dining room and picked up three different ones to try with the living room. After settling on some that we thought looked nice but wanted in a lighter color. I called around to find five panels since I knew the one we had been at only had two left. So we returned the curtains and picked up those two from one store and then drove across town to another BB&B and picked up the other three (also their last ones in stock). Total cost $15 primer and $130 curtains (on clearance). Still needed is a new sofa and new throw pillows.

Dining room needs painting and stenciling finished, but the new curtains and the new chandelier look good (old one was moved to our bedroom, the only room big enough to carry it off). I still need to pick up new chairs for the dining room table and currently the dining room is the storage place for our new closet for our bedroom while we wait for the flooring to come in. We also need a new office chair.

Man, I need to go on Design on a Dime. I'm revamping my house on the cheap. I'm loving how it's all coming together and it feels good to have a house that looks good. As soon as we clear out the closet stuff, we're definitely going to have a party to see all our friends. We've been putting it off since our renter was still living here and all his furniture was packed in with ours. But as soon as we put on the finishing touches look in your inbox for an invite.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:56 AM, Blogger A Little Blue House said…

    Thank goodness for your Mom !!! How I miss her !!!! I agree with design on a dime - sounds like you are doing a great job - would love to see pictures since it may be awhile before I come back that way. Someday my house here in VA will be done - getting closer :o)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home