Blog of a CPA Mommy

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Down for the Count

Yesterday was one day I don't care to repeat again. Lady Jane and Little Man went to school. Lady Jane had her Christmas party in the afternoon. Ten to 2 pm I get a phone call from the school. Lady Jane had hit her head. She wasn't bleeding and didn't have a bump. She was complaining she couldn't see.

First thing, if you don't know Lady Jane, she broke her leg when she was two years old. Her grandparents said that she had fallen to the ground and cried later at home, which for a two year old who was being taken to bed was not unusual. We brought her down with us and watched her while we watched Lost. We put her in bed with her brother and in the morning when I went to get her, she simply said, "I can't walk." She's an excellent patient. She didn't cry out at all during the whole poking and proding. The doctor sent us over to X-ray just to make sure. She had broke her leg and needed a full leg cast to protect it while it healed. Lesson #1 If Lady Jane says something is wrong, something is wrong. She generally does not make a big deal if it isn't a big deal.

Back to our story. I tell the teacher "I'll be there in ten minutes." Relief was evident in her reply. I grab blankey and rush down to my car and down the hill to school. When I arrived, Lady Jane was clinging to her teacher. She didn't react when I got there. Didn't reach out for blankey. Didn't reach out for me. Something's wrong. I thrust blankey to her which she takes and take her from her teacher. She's not focusing in on anything with her eyes, but eventually she starts to focus. She complains that her head hurts. The kids had been changing into their party clothes. The teacher hadn't seen her fall. Lady Jane couldn't remember what had happened and was hard to understand. She also complained that her head hurt.(This morning I spoke with the teacher and the other teacher had seen Lady Jane standing on moment and on the floor the next time she looked over.)

We haven't registered with a GP (doctor) yet, but the teacher suggested the one at the top of the hill. I went in carrying Lady Jane who was falling asleep on my shoulder. Not good. Doctor wasn't in, but we should be fine to register with them. They directed me to Children's Hospital. I packed Lady Jane back into the car and finished the drive home. I needed to get my purse. We were waiting for the elevator and Lady Jane vomited. Really not good. I bustled her upstairs and get her into the apartment. She laid down on couch and I rushed down with paper towels.

I called Phil and asked him to come home. I grabbed Lady Jane and put her back in my car. We drove down to the hospital and wove through the corridors to A&E. Half a corridor away from A&E she vomited again. What the hell am I supposed to do? Leave vomit in the corridor and continue on. She'd gotten it all over herself and partially on me. A woman happened to pass by and said she'd get someone in A&E. After getting it all sorted, we went to the main desk to wait. We checked in and went to the bathroom to clean up.

Doctors checked her out. In the waiting rooms, she continued to sleep only waking when disturbed. They ran a few tests to make sure she wasn't low on blood sugar or had an irregular heart beat. We were there until 9 pm. She's home with me now and I'm keeping a close eye on her to make sure everything is good, but it was a terrible scare. No one knows what happened to make her fall. She doesn't remember falling and no one was watching her in those few seconds. The hospital staff was afraid she'd fainted and 4 year olds shouldn't faint. She's normal right now. Asking for a peanut butter sandwich at quarter to 10 in the morning. Hopefully it was nothing.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:35 AM, Blogger Sarahlynn said…

    They did a CAT scan or an MRI, right?

    Mostly I'm feeling extreme sympathy and man-you-should-have-friends-and-family-with-you-right-now but I have the ask the question.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home