Blog of a CPA Mommy

Monday, February 18, 2008

Peanut Butter Cookies and Trex

Something that doesn't exist here in England is the Peanut Butter Cookie. I know sacriledge. Also you won't find shortening by that name, the brand is Trex. Last week after dinner Phil, the kids and I made Peanut Butter Cookies with Trex and ended up with a really dry dough. The cookies still tasted good, but it was definitely not the cookie I remembered.

So I remade them today. Now the first time I did dump in the peanut butter, Trex, brown sugar and sugar into the bowl and mixed them. Today I used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and peanut butter and creamed them together before adding the sugars. My batter is soft and moist. Not something most people would say, but I'm going to run with it. The cookies are in the oven I'll give you the verdict after the kids get home from school.

Cookies good! Though they would like chocolate chips in them next time. :)

2 Comments:

  • At 8:10 PM, Blogger BriteLady said…

    If you're substituting shortening for butter in a recipe, you have to add liquid--I forget how much, but something in tablespoons of water or milk per cup (check Crisco's website--they would also have a peanut butter cookie recipe made with shortening). How did your cookies turn out? I've never had good luck using butter substitutes in baking recipes--thins always end up crunchier or gooier than they're supposed to be. Regular stick margarine is generally ok, but the flavor of real butter is usually much much much better (and these days many health experts prefer cholesterol of butter to the trans fat in margarine). Shortening doesn't have as good a flavor as butter, but can have a much better texture (makes for tender biscuits and pie crusts and such).

    Funny, our deck is made of Trex....that must be funny if you grow up thinking it's grease...

     
  • At 11:55 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    The recipe I had called for shortening not butter. The shortening here is kinda flakey not as soft as at home. Since I knew I'd want to eat lots of cookies I figured (given my digestive issues with milk stuffs) margarine was the way to go. They are thin and slightly gooey, but I like them that way. :) Mmmm. Cookies.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home