Blog of a CPA Mommy

Friday, October 05, 2007

There's This Glowing Thing in The Sky

It's huge and round and hurts my eyes. Today there's not a cloud in the sky which is unusual but welcome. You do tend to forget what the sun looks like around here. The kids are faring well in school. We're almost to midterm break. We're thinking about LegoLand and maybe a last ditch effort to get to the Highlands. I doubt there will be camping. It's getting quite cold at night now. Time to wash all the hand wash sweaters that just haven't been needed. We have a birthday this weekend, but not a lot is happening otherwise. We've all settled in to life here.

A few phrases/words you don't hear in the states. English to American translation:

Dodgy - Something that doesn't seem right
Cheeky monkey - affectionate term for a child that isn't doing what they were told but isn't getting hurt
Poppet - affectionate term for a baby girl
Diary - schedule of events (Yes, it's weird when someone says they have to check their diary)
Chips - French fries
Crisps - Potato chips and other chips
Pudding - all desserts
Pram - stroller
Knackered (guessing on the spelling) - sleepy
Lie in - sleeping late
Jumper - sweater
Pants - Underwear
Trousers - pants
Plimsolls - a type of shoe, I still don't get this one
p - pence
quid - pound
cap - baseball hat
gutted - extremely disappointed
film - movie
tea - dinner
dinner - formal dinner

3 Comments:

  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger Jill said…

    You didn't mention my very favorite british thing - the lift! instead of an elevator... also, have you encountered a trouser-press yet? It mounts to the wall, and exactly as it sounds, you stick in the pants and it presses them, no messing with irons...
    And I'm very jealous of your dough balls...

     
  • At 1:49 AM, Blogger Amanda said…

    I did forget about the lift, but I'm never around anyone when I'm on one so it's easy to forget. We don't have a trouser press, but I think Phil mentioned one when he stayed here by himself.

    We all love dough balls. I have to buy two boxes if we are going to have them as a starter. Unfortunately, they have to stay refridgerated or I'd send you some. You're more than welcome to come over and stay with us to have some dough balls

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    I found the trouser press to suck. I've tried three in various hotels that I've stayed in before we moved here. They never really worked to my satisfaction, and I ended up ironing anyway.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home